Telecommunication companies use fiber optics to transmit television, internet, and telephone signals around the world. As the need for fast and secure communication increases, these systems will need to be constantly updated and rebuilt. Fiber optic designers will be an important part of the continued growth of this industry.
Fiber Optic Designer: the Job Description
Fiber optic designers build communication networks from the ground up. These professional project managers are responsible for conceptualizing and planning the creation of the grid. According to the Fiber Optics Association, there are several stages of implementing a fiber optics system.
- Designers start by considering the types of signals their systems will need to carry. An analysis of the physical terrain they must cover, required equipment installations, and how to integrate with existing systems follows. From this information, a preliminary plan is mapped.
- The next phase requires designers to identify and resolve any issues with permits, zoning, and any other legal matters that affect their project. They must also consider how their building plans affect surrounding properties.
- After adjusting the plans to fit all legal requirements, the designer will choose the best materials, equipment, and components to complete their layout. Their completed plan is then given to the construction manager, who oversees the physical implementation of the designer’s vision.
Good documentation practices will save time, material, and misunderstanding during the installation process as well as when upgrades and repairs are needed. Designers are responsible for initiating the documentation chain. Their blueprints, notes, records, and drawings contain invaluable information that other managers and technicians will rely on in the future. The designer will initiate the documentation system. This system will be continuously updated throughout the life of the project.
Most designers have previous experience installing, servicing, and maintaining fiber optics systems. This gives them a unique perspective that helps them produce more useful and integrated designs.
The Value of Certification for Fiber Optics Designers
Like other electrical engineers, optics designers have a strong background in technology, electronics, and some construction knowledge. However, a certification in fiber optics design sets these professionals apart from similar fields of expertise.
- With the growing reliance on the internet for communications purposes, optics designers need a deeper understanding of how different interfaces will interact with their systems. Certification proves that a designer has the knowledge needed to construct local area networks that accommodate a variety of devices.
- Technology is a constantly shifting discipline. Every day brings new standards, innovations, and capabilities. Certification exams test candidate’s ability to use the most reliable and up-to-date data and methods.
- The career path to becoming a fiber optic designer is varied. It can be difficult to prove to potential employers that you have the right skillsets. A certification does that for you. The exam quantifies and validates your work experience beyond the capabilities of a resume.
Certified designers are more valuable to their employers. The certification process ensures that employees are capable of handling all the complexities of a fiber optics communications system. The strict rules for certification renewals and work experience mean those with this qualification are working with the latest, most cutting-edge information available.
Are You Ready to Take the Next Step for your Employees?
Whether you’re looking to add to your list of qualifications or you’re an employer who is ready to groom an employee for greater things, Infotec has the solution to your testing needs. The Certified Fiber Optics Designer assessment is for fiber optics technicians and installers who are ready to take the next step in their career. This certification will prove that their previous experience and knowledge has prepared them to create and implement fiber optics communication systems. Contact our representatives to learn more about this opportunity.
For more information about Infotec or any of our programs click here: http://www.infotectraining.com/ or https://ops.infotecpro.com/course_schedule/course_schedule.cfm.