Businesses rely on fiber optics to facilitate communications, deliver client services, and establish reliable network connections. According to research and data collection experts Statista, the demand for fiber optics in the United States will reach $910 billion by the year 2025.
As businesses find more ways to use these versatile conductors in daily operations, the need for trained fiber optics technicians grows. What are some of the military and non-military applications of this technology? How does having certified fiber optics technicians on-staff benefit companies?
Military vs Non-Military Applications
The unique qualities of fiber optics cables make them useful in a number of high-tech military applications.
- Remote military operations depend on rugged fiber optic installations to safely and reliably transmit vital data.
- Optical filters allow military operators to visualize airborne chemicals, people hiding in structures, and other things that are not normally within our visual field. Fiber optics allows data collected from optical filters to be stored, analyzed, and transmitted.
- Sensor technology and optical capabilities allow military personnel to carry out precision movements with minimal risk. It also aids in securing high-profile items or people.
- Fiber optics cables combined with advanced transmitters and receivers let personnel communicate securely across great distances with superior bandwidth.
The requirements for installing and maintaining military fiber optics systems are similar to those for commercial applications. However, there are some important differences. Companies who contract with the US military or many of their suppliers need technicians who are certified in the special requirements of their fiber optics systems.
Importance of Fiber Optics Certification
Fiber optics are an essential part of modern industry. Certification ensures that every worker upholds the same safety and quality standards. There are other advantages to having certified technicians on your team.
- In an emergency, every minute your networks or equipment don’t work properly costs potential profit. In military applications, a malfunction could cost lives. Having a certified technician on-hand reduces downtime due to malfunction.
- Maintenance is necessary to keeping installed systems running smoothly. Certified technicians on-site have the knowledge to monitor and maintain fiber optics networks. Businesses won’t have to invest extra funds with costly consultants or contractors.
- Due to the sensitive nature of some operations, independent contractors often need to be vetted before being allowed on-site. This could mean time-consuming delays in planned upgrades, maintenance, or other work on fiber optic systems. Certifying existing employees saves time and ensures only trusted individuals have access to proprietary information.
- Technology is a quickly evolving field. Certified technicians have the most up-to-date understanding of the way fiber optics are used. Your staff will be able to offer more useful suggestions on upgrades and capabilities that could help your organization achieve goals more efficiently.
- Building contractors, architects, and engineers can offer the knowledge of their certified employees as an extra bonus service to their clients. These trained professionals can give expert guidance during the planning stages that reduce investments of time and money.
Managers who want to position their company for maximum growth should begin building their workers’ skills as soon as possible. The Fiber Optics Certification courses at Infotec are designed to validate the skills and knowledge of working professionals. Courses focus on different aspects of installation and design. A military installation program is also available.
These 4-day, instructor-led classes give learners skills that help them create, improve, and maintain fiber optics systems for business, military, and private industry. Students must pass the applicable ETA (Electronics Technicians Association) exam at the end of the session to complete certification. Connect with us today for more information.
For more information about Infotec or any of our programs click here: http://www.infotectraining.com/ or https://ops.infotecpro.com/course_schedule/course_schedule.cfm.