Competency is defined as the ability to successfully complete your job. Core competencies are a collection of essential skills for a particular position. For information technology contractors who work with the federal government, being proficient in certain core competencies can lead to high-paying, long-term assignments.
What are some of the core competencies for IT workers with the federal government? How can companies use training and certification programs to ensure their employees qualify for these contracts? Why is it important for companies that contract with the federal government to pursue training and certification for their staff?
Core Competencies for Federal IT Contractors
Federal IT contractors, regardless of the specific role they are hired to fill, are responsible for some basic work duties.
For information technology professionals, the federal government expects contractors to be proficient in:
- Computer skills
- Attention to detail
- Customer service
- Conflict management
- Stress tolerance
- Web technology
- Systems life cycles
- Communications security management
- Political discretion
Competencies are based on the contractor’s grade. Those with higher grades are expected to take on the responsibility of managing, teaching, and organizing the efforts of those under their authority. Thus, these grades have more complex competency demands.
Using Training Programs to Prepare for Government Contracts
Independent contractors who want to qualify for lucrative government need to ensure their IT force is ready before they apply. Training classes and seminars are a great way to bring workers up to speed on a variety of subjects. How can these educational opportunities fit into your workforce readiness plan?
- Schedule training classes at your work site. This not only ensures your workers get customized training that is specific to the needs of your business, but you also save the time and stress of transporting multiple employees to a training location.
- Want to move several employees through the coursework even quicker? Online classes provide all the technical information you need without the travel time.
- Expert instructors with practical experience in their field offer relevant and updated information. Having a knowledgeable guide available for questions and personalized direction ensures your employees pick up everything they need to know.
- Formal training classes often include certification testing that validates your employees’ newly taught skills. This documentation is vital in proving that your company is ready to take on the challenges of government IT contracts.
Don’t rely on DIY training programs. Certification courses are an easy and cost-effective way to increase your company’s overall earning potential.
The Importance of IT Certifications for Government Contractors
Besides validating your employee’s skills, gaining IT certifications help business owners in a number of ways.
- The skills learned in training classes can open up new possibilities for your business. Teach your employees how to work with new programming languages or the latest cybersecurity techniques to increase the services you can offer to your clients.
- Improve your employees’ abilities to use productivity software like spreadsheets, word processing programs, and other collaborative tools. Certification classes can teach them additional tips and tricks that save time and increase the efficiency of interoffice communication.
- The continued growth of your business is dependent on your talent pool. Make your employees better at their job to realize greater long-term profit potential.
- It is possible to skip the classes and simply take the certification test. However, without the proper preparation, there is no guarantee of success. Certification classes increase the chances of successfully completing certification tests the first time, which reduces investments of time and testing fees.
Infotec offers a variety of instructor-led, virtual, and e-learning classes and seminars to help you meet your business goals. From graphic design to network safety, we can prepare your employees to qualify for big government contracts. How can we help you get ready for the next level of success? Contact our representatives for class and scheduling information.